The last Sunday of September is celebrated each year as Priesthood Sunday – set aside to thank our spiritual fathers – our priests. It is a day to thank and honor our priests.
· Pope Francis outlined the 7 pillars of Priesthood as:
- · The strength of a priest depends on his relationship with Christ.
- · Just as he must be close to Christ so the priest must be close to the people he serves.
- · A priest’s authority must be linked to service, especially to the care and protection of the poorest, weakest, the least important and most easily forgotten.
- · The priest must be a minister of mercy.
- · The priest is called to simplicity of life.
- · The priest must be a model of integrity.
- · The priest is to be a source of blessing for his people.